Wednesday, April 22, 2009

iPhone Dev and Subversion

Well, I'm well underway with my first application that I plan to submit to the AppStore. After going through the very helpful tutorials in my favorite two iPhone books (Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK and The iPhone Developer's Cookbook: Building Applications with the iPhone SDK,) I got to coding my own apps. Of course, one of the first steps was to figure out...

Version Control

For all of our side projects, we use a Subversion repository for source control. I'll assume that my audience knows why version control is important and where they can find Subversion. What you may be looking for is a TortoiseSVN-equivalent, shell-integrated client for the Finder in OS X. I found one that has all of the basic functionality:

SCPlugin - the version I downloaded was SCPlugin-0.7.3l-SVN.1.6.0.pkg.

I've found this to be a very adequate svn client for everything with one inconvenience: SCPlugin doesn't handle svn:ignore. There is an open bug about it, but I don't think it's going to get attention very soon. It just means you have to remember NOT TO ADD your build folders when you add projects to the repository.


If you want a more full featured svn client that is a standalone app, people speak very highly of Versions. I haven't tried it, and I prefer the ease of doing everything right inside of Finder (or Windows Explorer,) so I probably won't.

After installing SCPlugin, I found myself needing to do a few things from the Terminal using svn. Unfortunately, the version of the client that is shipped with Leopard is 1.4.something. Here is a nice blog post that helped me get upgraded to the newest version in a few minutes: http://www.gridshore.nl/2008/12/21/upgrade-subversion-client-on-mac-osx/.

1 comment:

  1. It's really helpful. different iPhone mobile applications for different types of customers.

    iphone developer

    ReplyDelete